Monday, May 16, 2011

Susan Spit-Fire Lively To Read at Duff's in the C.W.E. on Monday, May 23


Susan Spit-Fire Lively will be one of three featured readers at the Monday, May 23, reading at Duff's, 392 North Euclid, in the Central West End.

The other readers will be Eileen G'Sell and Robert Nazarene.

Doors open at 7:30 p.m.; admission is $3.

Advance sign-up for the open-mic following the featured readers is encouraged. Click here to sign-up via e-mail.

Born in Belleville, Illinois, and raised in Cahokia, Susan Lively is a poet, spoken word artist, author, emcee, and producer. She performs at venues in the bi-state area under the name “Spit-Fire” and has performed at and hosted literary events at local colleges and universities. She created and hosts the Open Mic Night @ the Cigar Inn in Belleville and is a member of The Eugene B. Redmond Writer’s Club of East St. Louis. Susan’s spoken word performances have been featured on internet, radio, and television and her poetry has appeared in Head To Hand, the East St. Louis Monitor, the PEN, the Journal of Pan African Studies.

Erasure

Sensual bliss,
such never-ending excitement.
Just the thought of you,
the very thought of you,
sets my soul on fire.
With glistening dew,
and a racing pulse,
I betray myself.

Give in to this,
give in with wild abandon.
Abandoned on a sea adrift;
a sea of unbearable pleasure and pain,
our bodies clashing together, again and again,
I give of myself.

Excruciating, extreme passion,
bursting its way through my veins.
The exquisite sweetness
will drive me insane.
You have total control,
replaced by someone I do not know.
There’s only so much farther left to go,
before I enslave myself.

Warm, and wet, and
hot, and hard, and softest yet.
My heart is wide open,
I have lost all hope and,
this is how I became myself.

Throbbing, and aching,
and loving, and hating.
Lying in wait and,
so high are the stakes.
Sensual bliss,
give in to this.

Excruciating passion,
so warm and wet and,
throbbing and aching.
So long I’ve been waiting,
to erase myself.

-- Susan Spit-Fire Lively

No comments:

Post a Comment