Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kelli Allen, Ken Brown, and Coleen McKee Featured Readers at Duff's on October 25


The next Chance Operations reading will be held on Monday, October 25, at Duff's, 392 North Euclid, in the Central West End.

Featured readers will be Ken Brown, Kelli Allen, and Colleen McKee. An open-mic will follow the featured readers. Learn, Artist! will provide musical interludes. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.; cover charge $3.

Speaking of the open-mic, here's a poem by Colin Michael Shaw who stepped up to the open-mic, making his debut public reading, at the June 14 Chance Operations reading:

Prez

Really deep love, the kind that carries the kind of urgency
Like it’s your fist time feeling that, not like when you are
               middle-aged, jaded
You remember that?

I suddenly did as she tugged at my chest, looking into my eyes
And I let her kiss me full on the mouth
She doesn’t belong to me, she doesn’t belong here at all.

Long forgotten, so ancient or foreign or out of context that I
               kinda almost didn’t know what was going on
A heartache so sweet, because I know
I’m in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing.

Now Prez, he comes stomping over the hill looking for us
I snap back into my civilian shit and realize the lie
When he grabs her by the wrist and slaps the fucking shit out of her

I start to plead for my true heart, I start trying to talk it out
And Prez pops one in her head without missing a beat
Like he’s swatting a fly or something

She just falls away and he coming right at me
The whole time looking right at me
Putting the piece back in his belt

“Whatcha say, Loverboy -- you look tongue-tied man!”
“Oh no, not YOU, Poet! Show me how fuckin’ talented you are
with yer big fancy words, now… huh!?”

I stutter something, in the horror of it all,
the thought of finishing what we came to this damned place to do
with that bad, bad man

I pull the pistol from his belt and put the barrel into my mouth.
And Prez chuckles, “That’s gonna be hard for you, man…
That’s gonna be real hard to do...”

-- Colin Michael Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment