Monday, January 31, 2011

"Contemplating Cobh" by Christy Callahan

Christy Callahan was one of several open-mic participants at the January 24 reading at Duff's.

The next reading at Duff's will be Monday, February 28, with featured readers Catherine Rankovic, Bob Reuter, and Steve Schroeder. Musical guest will be William Kyle. Advance sign-up for the open-mic following the featured readers is encouraged. Doors open at 7:30; cover is $3.00.
Contemplating Cobh

My toes grip
the cement ledge
as the breeze dances
a Waltz with the Atlantic,
my hair flowing, gliding,
tempting.

A bouquet of carnations
sends petals drifting
to the quay.

As the rigid edges
of the leaflet dig
into my thigh, my fingers dive
into my pocket, uncovering
black text faintly rising
above tan paper,
mumbling abbreviated tales
of coffin ships, convict ships.

I remember the museum,
the disparity between
exhibit and souvenir,
my palms sweating as I read
God himself could not sink this ship.

My toes crawl away.

I ask the lost liner
to share the secrets
whispered to the fish.

-- Christy Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment