Friday, January 24, 2014

David Parker Musical Guest at Tavern of Fine Arts on Monday, January 27

David Parker, solo jazz piano, will be the musical guest at the •chance operations• reading at the Tavern of Fine Arts, 313 Belt Avenue, on Monday, January 27.

Featured readers will be Sean Arnold, Jim McGowin and Brett Underwood.

Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Admission is FREE.

Open-mic follows the featured readers.

David Parker says:
I was born 1959, the same year Kind of Blue (Miles Davis), and John Coltrane Plays the Blues were recorded, Ornette Coleman arrived in NYC that year as well. Improvising on the piano as early as 5 or 6, with 2 or 3 years of classical lessons around 8th grade. In my high school years, I took extremely valuable music theory classes at St. Louis University High and I also studied composition with Michael F. Hunt.

Taught myself jazz in the years after high school, played cocktail piano at Duff’s for a few years (’79, ’80, 81). Informal studies with poet Shirley LeFlore. Workshop in Woodstock with Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland and Pat Metheny.

Since around “81, I did many concerts and gigs with trumpeter/poet Floyd LeFlore (one of the founding members of Black Artist Group). Studied with Anthony Braxton at Mills College (Oakland, California) in 1990.

In the early ‘90s, I played and studied with Joe Charles (master drummer, teacher and mystic) and Jimmy Sharrod (saxophonist, composer). My record label (Vid Recordings) has released 10 albums over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment