Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Brett Lars Underwood Reads at Duff's on Monday, May 10



Brett Lars Underwood will be one of the featured readers at the Chance Operations reading on Monday, May 10, at 7:30 p.m., at Duff's, 392 North Euclid Avenue, in the Central West End. Also reading will be Molly McNew Ebel, and Erin Quick. Admission: $3.00.

Brett Lars Underwood is a bartending gadabout who writes, promotes and produces happenings and mishaps in St. Louis, Missouri. He's quicker with the stink eye than verbal reprimands and favors the brushback pitch over preemptive warfare. He has the wingspan of an albatross and would prefer cash.

Maybe someday, but not

You glow and
I taste you in the moonlight
My tired lips remember you in a way
that
would disgust your husband
and confuse your children.
If your fruit hung on trees
populations would go mad
like they do
and populate deserts
never wanting for water or
other spices.

And I feel no shame
in these dreams.

But to make them best
we would have to
align tiger stripes on
the shade of the moon.
Shuffle logic;
Break the flying buttresses
of ancient architecture;
Finger fuck Shakespeare fans
on CNN.

All fun and reckless activities: all dangerous.

We would be better to
change society and
and inject vodka into nuns.
Or swill melted nickels with
financial analysts

So, I know that you do.
I know that I do.
We do.
As the swelling goes down,
we don't.

I hope that there is something.
I hope that there is a part.

There it is in the glimmer of a star.
I hear it in the sublime verse.
I hear your moans as my back creaks.
I hear the echoes of promises.

-- Brett Lars Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment