Thursday, March 3, 2011

"The Beggars and Poor" by Stephen Iles


Stephen Iles was one of three featured readers at Duff's on February 28. Stephen was a last-minute replacement for Bob Reuter.

The next reading at Duff's, 392 North Euclid, will be Monday, March 14. Featured readers will be Kristina Marie Darling, •chance operations• co-founder Chris Parr, and Buzz Spector. Musical guest will be Learn, Artist!; doors open at 7:30 p.m. Advance sign-up for the open-mic following the featured readers is encouraged. Cover charge is $3.00.

The Beggars and Poor

II.
You know,
“When you give, you’ll receive.
               And threefold.
Especially when you give
with an open heart.”

I’m hoping.

“You will... the Bible says that.”
My last dollar later
and he likes Coltrane (too),
“the good stuff.”

III.
Sorry man, I just gave
my last dollar to the man down there collecting
for the shelter. I think it was
Saint...
“Ah, I understand.”
Good luck though.

I dislike blind left turns in start the night traffic.

I.
I turned away
               wholly or just my eyes,
I changed their position,
our unsettling my eased motion
amid the multitude of strangers

how did you notice me?
I turned away.

I knew you were there, I felt
you more than the passers-by,
more because it took effort
disregarding you.

-- Stephen Iles

No comments:

Post a Comment