Friday, November 5, 2010

"Words Lie" by Seth Grossman


Seth Grossman stepped up to the Chance Operations open-mic on October 25 and read the following poem from his cell phone.

The next Chance Operations reading will be Monday, November 22, at Duff's, 392 North Euclid, in the Central West End. Cover will be $3.00; doors open at 7:30 p.m.

Words Lie

Words lie
But one’s heart won't, or can't
It just gushes in love, hate, fear, or silence

Driven by the sun like the flow of water through roots to leaves
And the wobbling earth 10,000 years in a clip,
And the light of stars every 12 hours we see.

When words come from the brain with no heart,
They could, like the truth of the heart, reign 10,000 years
Would you forsake a moment's gain for such false light eons ever?
I speak, though as I wrote tears welled in my eyes
I ask only for your heart to beat with mine.
Or just beat out loud.

Words well from the cells of belief
They are now from mine free flown from fractures
In the shell of my visage. When one can't take it any longer
Beams of light, regardless of one’s courage or strength just shine
Through the fissures of vanity. This is the good -- this is god --
My faith is that my truth needs no censure

I love, I hate, I lust, I lie, I am
All these words just dust in a maelstrom compared to
What you feel from across the room in silence.

-- Seth Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment