Wednesday, May 21, 2014

John Dorroh Featured Reader at Tavern of Fine Arts on Monday, May 26


John Dorroh will be one of three featured readers at •chance operations• at the Tavern of Fine Arts, 313 Belt Avenue, on Monday, May 26.

Mary Troy and Jennifer Goldring will be the other featured readers.

Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Admission is FREE.

Open-mic follows the featured readers.

John "J.D." Dorroh was a high school science teacher for more years than he can count. He fell in love with the writing process in the 8th grade when his English teacher assigned his class pen pals. J.D. went overboard, ending up with over 100 from 30+ countres. Four years ago he introduced his first white trash poem at a local coffeehouse and people began demanding that he write more. One man said, "You're writing about my kin folks." He writes flash-fiction and cheesy poetry and has published two books.
I Saw Your Follks Nekid

I saw your mama nekid twice last week,
     and she looked good, she looked fine,
     oh so fine. And talk about fit!
She has a better body than you
ever thought about having, Bobbie Sue.
Why is that, do you think?
Could be you drink too much beer?
Inquiring minds want and need to know.

Anyway,
When she saw me looking at her,
She did not get in a hurry to cover up;
She did not act surprised, no not one bit;
She did not tell me to leave;
She did not wink at me, either.
I’m the one who did that.
I saw your mama nekid twice last week.

I saw your daddy at the YMCA last week,
     and he was nekid in the dressing room,
     talkin’ to old weathered men about politics and war.
When he saw me, he asked,
“You seen my daughter lately?”
And I said, “No, sir, I haven’t, but I did see your wife
     twice last week, and she said to tell you hi
     because she knew that I’d see you here at the YMCA,
     sittin’ with old men on fart-covered benches,
     talkin’ to them about football, huntin’, and sex.”

-- John Dorroh

No comments:

Post a Comment