Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Excerpt from "Chronicide" by Catherine Rankovic



Catherine Rankovic was one of three featured readers at the •chance operations• reading at Duff's in May.

The featured readers for the next •chance operations• reading Monday, June 25, at Duff's, 392 N. Euclid, will be John Han, Ben Moeller-Gaa, Chris Parr, Buzz Spector, and Tony Renner, reading Dorothea Grossman.

Musical guest to be announced.

Free admission; doors open at 7:30 p.m.

Advance sign-up for the open-mic following the featured readers is encouraged. Click here to sign-up via e-mail.
From "Chronicide"

the misdemeanor of chronicide.
I’m called to their conference table,
and the boss quickly says, as if chased by an axe, “It’s a staff reduction,”

and far from the tears or violence
they’re prepared for, cellphones set to call security,
elated, I cry, “O, this

is the best day of my life! I am free!”
and laugh ‘til I wet my incontinence pad.
They allowed no farewell party

because anagram “innovate rare chick” was
likely to say something inappropriate.

-- Catherine Rankovic

No comments:

Post a Comment