Thursday, July 29, 2010

Patricia Prewitt's Poems To Be Read by Danny Kohl at Duff's on August 2


Patricia Prewitt and guest following a visiting room performance of Macbeth.


The next Chance Operations reading will be Monday, August 2, at Duff's in the Central West End. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Cover is $3.00. Music by Raven Wolf.

Featured readers will be Prison Performing Arts board member Danny Kohl reading poems by Patricia Prewitt; Chance Operations co-founder Tony Renner reading Stephen Crane; Richard Newman, editor of River Styx and James Weber reading their own work; and Lew Prince, co-owner of Vintage Vinyl, reading poems by the late Arthur Brown.

Albert Einstein Held Me In His Arms

(Based on the title of a poem by David Clewell)

high on heady heavy magnolia perfume
we step lightly among the moonbeams dancing
I twirl to the rail to catch my breath         his eyes catch mine
boldly I take his hand         flirt him to the veranda

we lean easily into our waltz embrace
lose ourselves in the orchestra’s hypnotics
cannot leave his touch until the last instrument
is safely bedded in its velvet-lined case

I never again met my serious young man
but his intense knowing gaze never leaves me
I was a grandma twice over before discovering
Albert Einstein held me in his arms that summer night

relativity is a theory to be shared
even then Albert’s genius was living life
the energetic mass and speed of light always squared
using the physics of two drawn rotating bodies

-- Patricia Prewitt

Danny Kohl writes
Patty Prewitt was convicted of the murder of her husband in 1984. She has been in prison for the last 24 years. She has insisted on her innocence from the first day. I met Patty through my work with Prison Performing Arts. PPA's mission is to bring performance and the opportunity to perform to incarcerated young people and adults in Missouri. Patty began systematically writing poetry in a PPA class.

No comments:

Post a Comment